1. What is the most appealing thing about cohousing to you? How about the least?
Most appealing: Having a friendly neighborhood, rather than just having neighbors, and the opportunity for shared resources (sharing lawn mowers, for example, or cooking chores, etc)
Least appealing: The process. I just want to be done and have everyone moved in already, damnit.
2. What would your ideal job look like? (Assume that income is not an issue and you can do anything at all without worrying about bills/rent/etc.)
I would love to be able to spend my days learning new things and travelling. So maybe my ideal job would involve going to a place and learning a craft that's practiced there, or perfected there. That would be awesome.
3. Of the books that you've read in the last year, which was your favorite and why?
I'll assume I shouldn't count books I've read in the last year but that I first read some time before :)
I'm having a hard time remembering all the books I've read this year, and a lot of them have been really fabulous, and I don't think I have a favorite out of them, at least not that's leaping to mind at the moment. I especially enjoyed Changer by Jane Lindskold, for being a good, fun story with interesting characters and an inventive concept.
4. What was the most amusing instance of "small world syndrome" (Nathan says "hi".) ;) you've encountered, if any?
The best was clearly when Kristin, one of my close friends in college was talking about our friend (her boyfriend)'s high school roommate who was coming to visit, and commented something about how "Josh hasn't seen Gabe in a ages!" or some such, and I realized that Josh had gone to a ski school, and I knew my childhood friend, Gabe, had gone to some ski school out east, too, and, hey, maybe they're the same person! So I said, "Gabe Sibley?" I think it took her a good several minutes to recover from the shock, and, although I played it cool, I was pretty amazed at the small-worldedness of it, too.
5. If you could give your 17-year-old self one piece of advice from your current vantage point, what would it be?
Relax. Everything you think you want, you'll get, or you'll change your mind about it first :)